Driving Europa Worldwide Group’s Media Relations
9th January 2018
Established in 1966, Europa Worldwide Group is a rapidly expanding, privately owned operator offering specialist air, ocean and logistics services, plus an unrivalled land service to the whole of Europe. The company, headquartered in Dartford, has a strong presence in more than 100 countries across six continents, employs more than 650 people in the UK and Hong Kong and its turnover surpassed £140m in recent months.
Having no in-house marketing in place, Eden was first tasked with creating a robust communications strategy and then delivering it. This included project managing an entire company wide rebrand. Eden is also responsible for overseeing Europa’s internal communications and many external marketing functions.
Key to the strategy was to communicate Europa’s brand as an innovative, forward thinking, and ambitious business – a business not afraid to do things differently in a marketplace where change isn’t commonplace. A business where people are proud to work, which challenges the status quo and which is constantly looking to grow.
The PR campaign – driven by Eden working very closely with the Managing Director – is fluid, constantly reviewed and ultra-creative and results driven, to help make this goal a reality.
Strategy and Plan
For Eden’s PR campaign to reflect Europa’s ambitious business plan, we needed to reflect its internal values in everything we write and in every conversation we have with journalists.
We have a rolling activity programme of both public and press relations. We split the public and press relations into the business’s four divisions – giving the separate teams a tailored and honed selection of opportunities each month across a diverse range of media and audiences, which are targeted and results-driven and which can be tangibly linked to increased sales.
The broader picture: we deliver an overarching programme of activity for the business which promotes its overall successes across all regions where the business has a branch and we lead specific campaigns for MD Andrew – such as his high-profile pro Brexit campaign and his petition to parliament to ease congestion at the Dartford Tunnel. Both of these campaigns have been disruptive and headline-grabbing from the get go and have put Andrew and Europa on the media’s agenda.
As Europa’s long standing retained PR agency, our strategy is simple – never stay still. We are constantly thinking of new and more creative ways to keep Europa in the media spotlight and to add to the brand’s credibility.
- Increased media coverage: 2014 – 176 pieces, 2015 – 195 pieces, 2016 – 225 pieces, 2017 – 334 pieces to date.
- Increased PR Value: 2014 – £215k, 2015 – 261k, 2016 – £458k, 2017 – £803k.
- Increased audience reach: 2014 – 2.9m, 2015 – 3m, 2016 – 5.6m, 2017 – 16.5m.
- Average Europa name checks in media higher than ever before, standing at an average of 138 per month.
- Increased social media engagement and followers year on year. Eden established Europa’s Twitter feed in 2013 and follower total now stands at 2,404.
- Major proactive PR campaigns launched and managed across local, regional and national media – eg. Brexit, Stop the Convoys.
- Coverage achieved in national broadcast and print media including BBC Radio 4, Sky News, ITV, BBC, Daily Mail and Huffington Post.
- Robust relationships cemented with Europa’s key trade press.
- High profile opportunities secured for Andrew Baxter including a position on the Daily Mirror’s pre-general election debate committee.
- Entries drafted and shortlisted for prestigious industry awards.